Obama supporters, I have a couple of questions for you...

Author: Domer From Hell (10756 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 3:35 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Why does Obama seek the council of Rev. Al Sharpton on a weekly basis? Rev Al isn't any better than Rev Wright when it comes to racial divisiveness. What is your take?

Replies to: Obama supporters, I have a couple of questions for you...

Thread Level: 2

the answer if obvious .. it's to consult Sharpton about his sense of fashion

Author: jOliver (193 Posts - Joined: Aug 31, 2007)

Posted at 11:09 am on Mar 21, 2008

(no message)

Oh Jesus Christ.

Author: Chris94 (21749 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 5:10 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Reverend Al is a moron and I wouldn't vote for him in a million years.

But if you begrudge Barack for seeking his advice on political matters in the African-American community, then you are being a bit insane.

Bush consults with all sorts of offensive right-wing lunatics on a regular basis, from Falwell (before he was dispatched to hell) to Robertson to Dobson. Do you hold it against him?

If not, then I might ask you why.

Thread Level: 3

#1, Jesus had nothing to do with this...

Posted at 5:13 pm on Mar 20, 2008

and neither did President Bush. The thread has to do with Obama's questionable associations with known bigots. Don't change the topic. Answer the damn question.

Thread Level: 4

It's a valid question: Did Bush's association with known bigots affect your opinion of him?

Author: IanY77 (4035 Posts - Joined: Dec 10, 2007)

Posted at 6:11 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Falwell and Robertson both said that the US got what it deserved on 9/11. Both are anti-Muslim, and their support of Israel is suspect at best. They support Israel because it fits into end-times theology where Jews will supposedly be slaughtered en masse. "I love you because you have to be brutally murdered soon" isn't exactly the basis for a great friendship.

Bush consulted with these bigots on matters like the war and the choice of Supreme Court nominees. Think about that: The president asked for the help of two people for two of the biggest decisions of his presidency. Meanwhile, Obama has shown no sign of supporting any of the positions of Rev Wright. He's spoken often in his speeches about moving away from past racial divides, not expanding them. Basically it boils down to this: Bush embraces his bigots, and works to implement their agenda, Barack Obama rejects them, doesn't support their agenda.

Given all of that, did it affect your opinion of him? If not, why is Obama somehow on the hook for Wright's comments?

Thread Level: 5

Sure and I don't agree with everything President Bush does...

Posted at 6:16 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I also do not subscribe to the religious right way of thinking. Like I told Chris, what does Obama's association with known bigots have to do with an outgoing President? Nothing, now if you would, answer the question like Chris did.

Also, Obama had a 20 year association with Rev. Wright. Do you think Rev Wright became a racist overnight? That's my problem with this whole thing. Obama, probably will not survive politically.

Thread Level: 6

If this destroys Obama, the US deserves what it gets...

Author: IanY77 (4035 Posts - Joined: Dec 10, 2007)

Posted at 6:33 pm on Mar 20, 2008

This election is already turning out like 2000 and 2004. The Dem gets hammered on trivial issues, while the Republican gets a pass on far more substantive failures.

My point was that Bush has consorted with people who are just as bad, if not worse than Wright, and Republicans seem to have no issue with that. If they have no issue with Bush associating with bigots, why is Obama's pastor a problem? It's not like Obama has gone all Cynthia "they hate me because I'm black not because I'm an abrasive loon" McKinney on us.

Seeing as how Obama has not, over the course of his career, embraced Sharpton's and Wright's divisive politics, it's not relevant or a concern. The only people who care about this by this point are people who wouldn't piss on the man if he was on fire. Obama has disowned the man, severed contact with him, and has approached this issue of race both in relation to his campaign and in general in a manner that has been lacking for the past seven years: like an adult. No condescension, no mindless repetition of talking points.

edit: heading was over the top, and I was referring in terms of what kind of president the country wants to have.

This message has been edited 2 time(s).

Thread Level: 7

Like I said earlier..

Posted at 7:00 pm on Mar 20, 2008

this thread has nothing to do with GW Bush. Also, this is no trivial issue, especially for people on the fence. The thing that bothered me is that Obama danced around the topic and didn't address it until his advisers advised him to do so. You're right, the Republicans do the same thing. The bottom line is that Obama is as much of a politician as GW Bush, John McCain, etc. He's not perfect. The Dems blinded by his great speeches think this guy walks on water.

The game is on. Can Obama handle it?

I answered your questions; I'll do it again

Posted at 5:18 pm on Mar 20, 2008

1) He consults with Reverend Al because, like him or hate him, the ole fat jerk has solid insight into African-American politics; and

2) My take: If you are looking for a politician that doesn't consult a wide array of people - including some unsavory characters - you will be looking all day.

Bush, for instance, is tight with the right-wing fringe types. Should that make us mad?

Your re-wording made it more clear...

Posted at 5:23 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I agree with everything you said other than Al Sharpton knowing anything but "hate Mr. Whitey."

The guy is a complete doofus. We agree there.

Posted at 5:28 pm on Mar 20, 2008

And I hated to see the I Man go begging to him for forgiveness, as if he spoke for all African Americans.

But he does have a better sense of inner-city voting than I do, that's for sure. And I think Barack might do wise to ask his opinion every once in a while...

I would avoid Sharpton and Jesse Jackson not because they are bigots, but because they are idiots

Author: TontoGoldstein (11011 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 4:18 pm on Mar 20, 2008

and opportunists.

Say what you will about Obama, but the guy is bright. Any time there is anything even remotely racially related, one or both of these two pops up, and neither is particularly sharp.

Obama is a very intelligent guy that has questionable judgment..

Posted at 4:21 pm on Mar 20, 2008

based on the people he associates himself with. I can't wait to hear the liberals say, "Well, what about Bush's association with Karl Rover?" They are so predictable, it isn't even fun.

Re: I would avoid Sharpton and Jesse Jackson not because they are bigots, but because they are idiot

Author: Trucker2 (1558 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 4:21 pm on Mar 20, 2008

[Quote]Say what you will about Obama, but the guy is bright.[Unquote]

Wellllllll .... he wasn't bright enough to get up and walk out on Wright.

Sure, but I think even you would admit that there is a difference in kind between Obama and Jesse/Al

Author: TontoGoldstein (11011 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 4:23 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I don't disagree that the Rev. Kill Whitey thing isn't a huge mistake, and probably one that will sink Obama's ship, but to BO's credit, at least he doesn't pop up every time there is a racial incident and start beating his drum.

This message has been edited 1 time(s).

Does he really seek the advise of Sharpton?

Author: jimbasil (33333 Posts - Joined: Nov 15, 2007)

Posted at 4:03 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I can't think any one would seek the advice of that bigoted asshole.

There are very few people on this planet that make me so ill, and in that category I'd begin with Hitler, Idi Amin, Milosevic, Sharpton, the Iranian leadership, most of the Arab and North Africa rulers and the present nut jobs in the oval office, and of course, Rudy Guilliani.

Sharpton is about a bigoted as I've known a black man to be. And what's worse, he's totally out for himself and will step on anyone and truth to be on top.

SCUM of the earth.

How does Idi Amin make the list but Pol Pot gets a pass?

Author: mrkilgoretrout (736 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 4:26 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I think someone around here no likey the Asians.

Ummmm...

Author: (unknown user)(User Info Not Available)

Posted at 4:12 pm on Mar 20, 2008

...maybe.

Damn it, you beat me to it

Posted at 4:17 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

http://photos1.blogger.com/x/blogger2/4729/640253601663480/240/z/977150/gse_multipart39511.jpg

I'm still voting for Biden.

Posted at 4:14 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Sharpton. uuuhhhhhhggeeeeee! vomit!

He talks to the guy on a weekly basis. I, honestly, don't think he's asking about his...

Posted at 4:05 pm on Mar 20, 2008

favorite apple pie recipe.

How do we know this?

Posted at 4:08 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

Why is McBush so dumb

Author: Domer81 (5273 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 3:42 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Seriously.

The man expects us to consider him as a viable candidate, but 5 years after 9-11 he still doesn't understand that Al Qaeda is a Sunni Muslim extremist group, while Iran is ruled by Shiites.

What's your take?

While I don't have a lot of love for McCain

Posted at 4:17 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Actually Iran and al Qaeda have cooperated in the past. As long as they have a common enemy they can and do cooperate. The Muslim have a philosophy that goes something like: The enemy of my enemy is my friend. Naturally that doesn't preclude a little mutual slaughter while "cooperating".

I think McCain misspoke and the press blew it out of proportion...

Posted at 3:54 pm on Mar 20, 2008

If you think Obama knows more about the middle east region, you're an idiot.

I wish we could all be as good as you and never misspeak.

Author: IrishinLA (740 Posts - Joined: Sep 12, 2007)

Posted at 3:51 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I immensely dislike McCain but the man misspoke. Do you really think he doesnt know that. Hes been in the senate for a million years and knows the region very well.

BTW, I wish we would also show the current President more respect. He still is the President. If you cant respect him, respect the office.

No he didn't just misspeak

Posted at 4:04 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Here he is saying it at the Baker Institute for Public Policy

But Al Qaeda is there, they are functioning, they are supported in many times, in many ways by the Iranians.

Here he is saying it on the Hugh Hewitt show.

As you know, there are al Qaeda operatives that are taken back into Iran, given training as leaders, and they’re moving back into Iraq.

That's three public (a) mistakes of understanding, or (b) conflating al-Qaeda with Iran in McBush demagogue fashion.

This message has been edited 3 time(s).

Are you suggesting Iran is not helping Al Qaeda?

Posted at 4:32 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

According to Domer81, there is no possible way! Iran is led by..

Posted at 4:35 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Shiites, and al queada is a Sunni group... Domer81, take off the liberal blinders please. Here is a link to a Washington Post Article:

Link: al queda/Iranian connection

Thread Level: 7

Lots of "may haves" and "possibilities" in that report

Posted at 4:45 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Show me one shred of evidence that Iran is training Al Qaeda in Iran to go back into Iraq and fight?

There is none.

Thread Level: 8

Re: Lots of "may haves" and "possibilities" in that report

Posted at 4:56 pm on Mar 20, 2008

"On Iran, by contrast, the report concludes that al Qaeda's relationship with Tehran and its client, the Hezbollah militant group, was long-standing and included cooperation on operations, the officials said. It also details previously unknown links between the two, including the revelation that as many as 10 of the Sept. 11 hijackers may have passed through Iran in late 2000 and early 2001 because Iranian border guards were instructed to let al Qaeda associates travel freely, sources familiar with the report have said."

This is a Washington Post Article. The Washington Pose swings a little to the left. They endorsed Kerry in 2004.

Link: Full Article

Thread Level: 9

That's still not good enough for him. They have no semblance of reality...

Posted at 5:06 pm on Mar 20, 2008

IrishinLA. As much "proof" as you give him, he's still going to post his "may haves" and "possibilities" bullshit. It's like talking to a wall.

Thread Level: 10

McBush said Iran was training al-Qaida in Iran to fight in Iraq. Even Lieberman....

Posted at 5:37 pm on Mar 20, 2008

...concedes that this isn't true.

You know why?

Because it isn't true.

So, you hand me some sourceless "maybe's" and "possibilities" of "connections", but we've had 150,000 troops in Iraq right next door to Iran for five years and they have produced zero evidence that Iran is helping al-Queda.

And why would they?

Iran wants a Shiite Iraq, not a Sunni one.

Thread Level: 11

What?

Posted at 6:05 pm on Mar 20, 2008

The report I gave you did not have one maybe, or possibility. The language was very clear. Did you even read it.

The report concluded that Al-Qaeda had a long term link to Iran. No maybe, no possibility. what are you talking about?

"On Iran, by contrast, the report concludes that al Qaeda's relationship with Tehran and its client, the Hezbollah militant group, was long-standing and included cooperation on operations, the officials said. It also details previously unknown links between the two, including the revelation that as many as 10 of the Sept. 11 hijackers may have passed through Iran in late 2000 and early 2001 because Iranian border guards were instructed to let al Qaeda associates travel freely, sources familiar with the report have said."

Theres the quote again. Please point out any ambiguities. If you cannot do this, please give me a source that says that there is no connection between Iran and Al-Qaeda from a reputable source.

I have provided justification for every statement I have posted on this board. I would appreciate you doing the same.

I hope this is enough

Posted at 5:17 pm on Mar 20, 2008

This is a report saying that the Bush administration made some mistakes. It was a liberal report in a liberal paper and even they could not deny that there is a link between Iran and Al Qaeda.

Thread Level: 11

Well, let's see if Domer81 approves. Don't get your hopes up.

Posted at 5:21 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

I thought Top Gun was an American film...

Author: Tenacious_P (901 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Not Iranian film noir...

If you were given recordings, video evidence...

Posted at 4:51 pm on Mar 20, 2008

or any concrete evidence, you'd still be skeptical, so what's the point. On the flip side, you prove to me that Iran has never supported or helped al queada.

Thread Level: 9

We have 150,000 soldiers in Iraq

And no evidence that Iran is training al Qaeda.

None.

See my link above.

Posted at 4:57 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

They don't give a shit about respect for the office, IrishinLA.....

Posted at 3:57 pm on Mar 20, 2008

They're blinded by their liberal, rose colored, glasses. If it ain't their way, it's the highway and all of the disrespectful comments. Respect? They don't even know the definition.

I know what you mean

Posted at 4:27 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I go to Tulane law. Ann Coulter came to campus and I saw her speak. She was heckled and cursed at the entire time. Just a couple days ago President Clinton came to campus. I disagree with a good deal of his policies (abortion, foreign policy, sex in the oval office) but I was respectful. I dont understand how these liberals are for free speech up until the point they say something that they disagree with.

They claim to have an open mind...

Posted at 4:31 pm on Mar 20, 2008

but the opposite is true. I hate to generalize, but they're the most closed minded group of people I've been around.

I'm pretty sure our current President consults ultra-right nutjob reverends on a regular basis

Author: KCIrishfan (2899 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 3:42 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I think it's pretty normal.

It's normal to consult a known bigot? What known bigots does our current President consult?

Posted at 3:58 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

Believe it or not DFH

Author: Charlie Jrs Headset (4224 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 11:42 am on Mar 21, 2008

There are some on this board who consider you an ultra-right lunatic.

As there are some (possibly even you) who consider me to be an ultra-left lunatic.

Furthermore, there are many who believe that the President IS a known bigot, on top of meeting with known bigots.

I think Bob Jones III said it best...

Author: McSweeney (17753 Posts - Original UHND Member)

"We basically accept that there are three races -- Caucasians, Negroes and Orientals. Caucasians can't date Orientals. Orientals can't date Caucasians, and neither of them can date Negroes."

Which candidate had a 20 year "mentoring" "father figure" relationship with Bob Jones?

Author: TakethetrainKnute (16870 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 5:07 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Your gonna sprain something with this stretch, Mac.

I know W spoke at Bob Jones U and apologized for it...

Posted at 4:28 pm on Mar 20, 2008

but I've yet to hear Obama apologize for his 20 year affiliation with Rev. Wright. Please know that I actually like Obama, but he needs to come correct on this race shit.

How about McCain's buddy Hagee?

Author: KCIrishfan (2899 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 4:19 pm on Mar 20, 2008

Seems to be a pretty strong anti-Catholic bigot to me.

McCain disassociated himself from Hagee, whereas Obama still..

seeks the counsel and spiritual guidance from Rev. Wright. As far as I know McCain doesn't attend Hagee's church.

So how long has McCain sat in Hagee's pews? ???

Posted at 4:22 pm on Mar 20, 2008

And financially supported Hagee?

And how many times has Hagee cursed America while in the pulpit?

Peaches and plumbs.

Other than Tom Delayand Rove, who'd want to speak to him?

Posted at 4:06 pm on Mar 20, 2008

(no message)

I agree

Posted at 3:52 pm on Mar 20, 2008

I think both people do a great deal to keep their base happy. I dont think we can judge Obama for meeting this Rev. Sharpton.