“Notre Dame Football: Looking at Brian Kelly’s Struggles” Seems spot on with QB development and

Author: whatsamataU (16292 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 5:32 pm on Jan 30, 2019

recruiting obstacles. Posted earlier top 25 D players and nearly half to SEC.

Link: https://slapthesign.com/2019/01/30/notre-dame-football-brian-kellys-struggles/

Replies to: “Notre Dame Football: Looking at Brian Kelly’s Struggles” Seems spot on with QB development and

Thread Level: 2

yet our D played better than Alabama against Clemson despite them getting 3 TD’s when JLove went out

Author: BaronVonZemo (22594 Posts - Joined: Nov 19, 2010)

Posted at 7:45 pm on Jan 30, 2019

And then didn’t keep it going when JLove came back in. Nobody, but nobody stopped Clemson once Lawrence took over, but we would likely have lost 13-3 or so had Love not been taken out to eval for a concussion.

I could understand if you picked the offensive recruiting, but you didn’t.

Thread Level: 3

What was the score at half?

Posted at 8:50 pm on Jan 30, 2019

(no message)

Thread Level: 4

Doesn't change that what he said is correct...our team came ready to play championship level ball

Author: Chrisb (9837 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 1:48 am on Jan 31, 2019

on that night, especially on defense, but some circumstances we didn't have the depth to overcome occurred against a phenomenal team that beat Bama even worse. Shit happens sometimes..

This is the main reason I wasn't bashing Kelly for this game. Yeah it still goes on his resume and counts against him overall (mostly because of the quantity of this type of loss) but in a vacuum, Kelly wasn't the issue that night. If he had his teams prepared like that more consistently I wouldn't have any problem with him, but that's a big IF.

Thread Level: 5

And a big problem which lies with recruiting at ND, speed and depth which were both exposed in that

Posted at 9:33 am on Jan 31, 2019

game big time. As the other article states we seem to have missed on that again in this recruiting cycle.

Thread Level: 6

On offense, not defense. Even our back ups were in position on all but one play.

Posted at 3:51 am on Feb 1, 2019

(no message)

Thread Level: 6

Yeah, I agree on that...as I've said before, if Kelly won more consistently in the past vs the teams

Author: Chrisb (9837 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 12:13 pm on Jan 31, 2019

we shoulda beat, instead of multiple 8 win seasons and a 4 win disaster, our talent and depth right now would be much closer to on par with Clemson/ Bama. Dabo built his current talent on the back of 8 straight 10+ win seasons and Saban has done it on the back of, ah hell I've lost count...gotta be 10 or 11 straight by now.

If Kelly keeps winning 10+ plus every year the talent will catch up and then we'll have a chance against the big boys...can Kelly maintain that kind of consistency for multiple years in a row, that is the million dollar question.

I'm doubtful, but here's to hoping he proves me wrong about him..

Thread Level: 4

3 TD's immediately on Loves replacement (& 2 were well defended anyways). Our D was championship

Posted at 10:44 pm on Jan 30, 2019

caliber. our O wasn't and continued to put the D in bad situations.

What was the Bama score on Oklahoma at the end of the first quarte (28-0).

How did Bama's D fair against Clemson? (worse). Clemson's coaches said as much.

Thread Level: 2

Re: “Notre Dame Football: Looking at Brian Kelly’s Struggles” Seems spot on with QB development and

Author: Irishize (45 Posts - Joined: Dec 1, 2018)

Posted at 6:05 pm on Jan 30, 2019

Big Game Brian is a QB killer. They have a one year shelf life. Book's arrow is pointing down now, so it's PJ's time. He's got one year; the clock is ticking. Then, he too, will be ready for the scrap heap. Next man up! And so it goes.

This message has been edited 1 time(s).