Video | Notre Dame Winter Workout Clips

Author: ucandoit (2479 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 11:37 am on Feb 5, 2019

Replies to: Video | Notre Dame Winter Workout Clips

Thread Level: 2

that leg press machine is one of the dumbest machines in the gym. It has no carryover to any actual

Author: WestCoastIrishFan (8611 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 4:04 pm on Feb 5, 2019

on field movement, and the fact everyone can load it up just shows it doesn't work. I'd rather see ND doing cleans and other explosive, multi-joint exercises.

Thread Level: 3

Might have to do with injuries, or prevention of them...

Author: ripperduck (1945 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 11:17 pm on Feb 5, 2019

I did squats for years, but can't do them anymore. I'll do walking lunges and front squats with dumbbells. But I can't have a barbell on my upper back anymore. I know these guys are 30 years younger than me, but I'm guessing the S&C coaches are using leg press for injury prevention....

Thread Level: 4

front squats are tough as hell. Amazing how much harder that movement is than the back squat.

Posted at 9:05 am on Feb 6, 2019

(no message)

Thread Level: 5

But great results! All about them gains...

Author: ripperduck (1945 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 11:51 am on Feb 6, 2019

(no message)

WestC...you really think they're not doing cleans and snatches? If you've trained athletes or been..

Author: Karamello (2528 Posts - Joined: Aug 3, 2007)

Posted at 7:08 pm on Feb 5, 2019

an athlete you know you can't constantly do multi-joint exercises and in fact small ROM style movements like rack pulls and leg press have great benefit when trying to limit joint overload. Also confusing the muscles is important towards breaking thru plateaus. So an open chain movement like the leg press though it has a similar movement to a squat with the load placement being different and the feet moving it does help develop fibers used in a squat but without the load on the back.

Seriously...NO CARRYOVER??

Ok...Used in just about every college in america...

Never seen sprinters using the leg press??

You make compelling points, but I'll stand by my perspective. When I see people load the machine

Posted at 8:39 am on Feb 6, 2019

with multiple times their body weight, I have to question the efficacy of the activity. Additionally, outside of some limited development of the legs, there is no activity on the field to which the leg press corresponds. I'm sure, at least I hope, the team is spending more time with full body movements like deadlift, cleans, snatches, squats, kettlebell cleans and throws. Those are the exercises that would excite me if seen in video.

Compelling because those are the legitimate reasons athletes use the leg press. Don't confuse..

Posted at 4:13 pm on Feb 9, 2019

Seeing idiots trying to impress themselves and folks around them with 1000lbs on a leg press but wont touch a squat rack.

Not what we're talking about. But the fact that you can load a 1000lbs on there is because you dont want to load a half-a-ton on your spine anyway.

But no...leg presses aren't a replacement for squats...they are a supplement that saves your joints but allows you to continue to build.

That's all...

Really? I guess squats are just as useless in building lower body strength. Linemen and backs don't

Author: ucandoit (2479 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 5:11 pm on Feb 5, 2019

need that explosive push from the lower body anyway. Just keep those upper arms churning.

This message has been edited 2 time(s).

Squats ARE a multi-joint exercise, and preferable to a leg press machine for most

Author: Shadow_of_the_Dome (2061 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 7:07 pm on Feb 5, 2019

Squats are the king of leg development. Leg presses are overrated only because...

Posted at 7:10 pm on Feb 5, 2019

people who don't like squatting say they do just the same...they dont...but they are useful for taking pressure of the top of the spine and back for a change and still getting work in.

Thread Level: 6

As a person who did squats today...

Author: iairishcheeks (9406 Posts - Original UHND Member)

Posted at 10:02 pm on Feb 5, 2019

I can confirm that they suck. Leg presses are in no way the same.

This message has been edited 1 time(s).

Thread Level: 7

Re: As a person who did squats today...

Posted at 4:09 pm on Feb 9, 2019

You can confirm they suck...reason why not to use them too much --

Annnd a leg press is NO WAY the same? Seriously...NO WAY...the as a Squat?