Back to threaded view Full conversation · 8 posts

I have been preoccupied w/compiling my Family History / Ancestry and WOW!...

fredyo 12637 posts Joined:
Posted

This is the home where my Grandfather was born.

32 Oliver St. Rochester, NY (off of East Avenue, around the corner from where George Eastman lived)

$1,586,186
Est. refi payment

$7,236/mo
6 bedrooms
•
5.5 baths
•
6,297
sq ft

Link: 32 Oliver Street Rochester, NY

Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Level 1

    I spent some time in Rochester. Lovely place.

    (no message)
  • Level 1

    Very nice, Fred...

    ...not quite like my Grandfather's home in County Tyrone...or the apartment he emigrated to in Jersey City...or the home his grandson moved into in the SF Bay Area. I'll have to see if I can upload a photo of the ancestral home (Foundation laid in 1780)

  • Level 1

    Wow indeed Fred!

    I know the house. East Avenue remains one of my favorite streets in America.

    You come from class.

    My grandfather grew up on Champlain Street in the Irish neighborhood. His father was a Rochester cop. And pretty sure he issued plenty of “street justice.”

    Grandfather was the youngest Sgt Major in US Army in WW I. Thereafter married a gal from the neighborhood, my grandmother born in 1888 who lived to age 95.

    The American Dream belongs to all of us. — Kamala Harris
    • Level 2

      Did you know your Grandfather well? I used to spend summers...

      ...with mine at his cottage on the lake. I lived there with him the last 2 years of his life, while attending RIT.

      My Father was the hard-ass. He had a glorious firearm collection. The three of us used to shoot Colt Gold Cup Match pistols, competitively.

      I miss them both.

      Sounds like you had great role models.

      My Great Grandfather married a lass from Belleville, Canada. She lived on the Bay of Quinte, a long, narrow bay, shaped like the letter "Z" on the northern shore of Lake Ontario. Her name was Margaret Mary McCaffrey.

      An early French Catholic mission was built at Kenté, located on the north shore of what is now Prince Edward County, leading to the Bay being named after the Mission. Officially, in the Mohawk language, the community is called Kenhtè꞉ke, which means "the place of the bay". The Cayuga name is Tayęda꞉ne꞉gęˀ or Detgayę꞉da꞉negęˀ, "land of two logs."

      The Bay, as it is known locally, provides some of the best trophy walleye angling in North America.

      My Great Grandfather came to America from Paris, in 1871. His last name was Jung, from Alsace, originally. He and Margaret both worked in a gourmet French Restaurant in Manhattan.
      The Allens dined there frequently, and they were treated with great respect, every time they visited. The Allens were so enamored of them that they offered them an opportunity of a lifetime.

      They ran the Estate for the Allens. My Grandfather and Charlotte Whitney Allen were born a month apart and grew up together in the manse.

      Keep on rockin' in the free world
  • Level 1

    Class begets class. Pay attention libs.

    (no message)
End of conversation