Back to threaded view
Full conversation · 5 posts

After starting with about a dozen offers, ND basketball is down to a single offered recruit.

MAS 22856 posts Original UHND Member
Posted

Jaylan Mitchell, from Evansville, but plays in St. Louis. He was once a top 5 recruit in the class of 2027, but is now rated in the 100-150 range nationally. He's all that's left. In other words, Shrews will have to use transfers to replace everyone who moves on after this season.

  • Level 1

    MAS, I usually get excited about hoops

    Do you have any insight about what ND is thinking about this abysmal program?

    • Level 2

      My best guess:

      The board and potential donors are unwilling to throw good money after bad and are waiting to see if Shrews can pull something out of his hat this season. It's year four, so the usual excuses will not be accepted. I would guess that expectations might be something like at least a .500 record in conference play, a win in the conference tournament, and notable player development. With regards to the latter, Brady Koehler developing into a 14/8 player and going into the NBA Draft would be a great indicator. I'm sure people read this and think, "What, Koehler leaving would be a feather in the cap for Shrews?" Yes, because it would indicate that this staff can develop a pro-caliber player, and make no mistake, if Koehler has that sort of production, he should enter his name in the draft, and I think he will be drafted.

      I asked GPT to speculate on the budgets of all ACC men's basketball programs, and below is what it spit out. If accurate, ND is about the middle of the pack, so not as lean as most believe. Clemson, Virginia, and SMU are landing better players for reasons beyond money.

      Link: https://chatgpt.com/c/6ac816f2-2a30-83e9-82e6-298cf83e7b48

  • Level 1

    Shrews is the Ty Willingham of ND Basketball.

    (no message)
  • Level 1

    Sad...but I do appreciate knowing...

    (no message)
End of conversation