Back to threaded view Full conversation · 41 posts

The Kelly conundrum.

AlbanyIRISH 27108 posts Original UHND Member
Posted

He has 4 months to make the decision that will greatly decide his fate as coach of Notre Dame. Does he go with Rees, an adequate game manager who offers nothing vertically, nothing athletically, and turns the ball over? Does he go with Hendrix, an athletic player who throws fast balls whether they be 5 yard hitches or 50 yard bombs? He can run. He also has the field vision of Helen Keller. Or does he go with Golson? His game management is the worst of the three. He also has the best arm when you consider velocity and touch, is the most creative when the play breaks down, and is by far the smoothest runner.

All three are deficient in a major area. The question for him is which can be corrected most easily and who has the other skills that can negate them?

We all have our opinions, but only one opinion counts.

Kind of reminds me of when Rocket Ismail played for Notre Dame
Invincibility with no vulnerability
  • Level 1

    The answer is obvious.

    (no message)
    • Level 2

      Agree. We wasted last year...

      ...so now this year will be shitty too. Someone further down the board was saying 8-5 is ok this year because of all the "question marks". Well, who created the question marks? Who cannot seem to answer them?
      Holding Golson out last year looks even more dumb now that we have Kiel (who we will hold out this year, allow Golson to have a year with ups and downs, then next year after Golson's first rough half of the year he'll get pulled in favor of Kiel, then Kelly will be ready in his 5th year). This 5 minute plan sure does look like a plan that is going to take longer than Kelly is going to get.

      • Level 3

        When should Kelly have turned to Golson last season?

        (no message)
        • Level 4

          Don't even get me started!

          There were so many games and opportunities to get Golson and/or Hendrix snaps.

          The Purdue game was 35-3 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Zero reps for G or H
          Air Force game was 49-16 at the end of the 3rd quarter. 4 passes for H. Zero for G.

          Hey guess what happened next??? The Golden Child got hurt against USC and we had no one but Crist with any useful experience. We all know what happened next.

          So now we have three losses, all games we were favored in (two by more than a TD), and two at home. Time to reevaluate season priorities right?

          Nope. The Golden Child throws all but three passes against Navy in a 56-14 blowout. Zero reps for G or H.

          Rees threw two picks against Wake Forest two picks. Zero reps for G or H.

          Maryland game was 38-7 at the end of the 3rd quarter. Time for some reps for G or H? Nope Zero. Nada. NON SENSICAL!!!

          Golden Child against Stanford? 6-13 with a pick. Hey now might be a good time to turn to a primed and ready backup! Too bad one is packing his bags for Kansas and the other two have next to ZERO reps all year. Go get em Hendy! What does he do? Well apparently he didn't do enough.

          I think what we really need at this point is more time to evaluate the Golden Child.

          • Level 5

            Not that I totally agree with Kelly but in his defense...

            If he thought Rees would be the guy for the next couple of years at these points in the season, then it would make sense to develop Rees and give him the reps. Thank god he eventually got his head out of his ass during the Stanford game though.

          • Level 5

            Solid recap.

            (no message)
          • Level 5

            I'll agree with Hendrix playing more, but...

            since Golson will be the one playing this year, I don't know how that would have actually helped this season.

            Signatures are lame
            • Level 6

              This makes no sense...

              Care to explain?

              Keep on rockin' in the free world
              • Level 7

                I don't think if Hendrix played more in 2011, it would mean much for 2012.

                B/c I fully expect Golson to start in 2012.

                Many posters were bitching about Hendrix not getting enough PT. Their point was he needed to be developed to be the starter in 2012. I would have liked to seen Hendrix get more PT late in 2011 as well, just to see what he could do (and b/c he couldn't have been worse than Rees).

                But the posters still bitching about Kelly setting the program back by sticking with Rees in 2011 are not correct, b/c Golson was not ready to play last year.

                Signatures are lame
                • Level 8

                  I'm just not fired up about Golson running the scout team all year

                  He's Kelly's guy, the only one last year who he recruited. He shouldn't have spent every week last year running the other teams plays.

                  • Level 9

                    He started the season a distant 4th on the DC

                    He (like the rest of us) did not envision that Crist would crap the bed and Rees would not improve one iota. Even if at mid-season Golson was pulled from the scout team, he still would not have been ready for game action last year. Kelly did the right thing in redshirting him.

                    I'd rather have Golson for 2012-2015 than have him for 2011-2014. Kelly made the right call for Golson's long-term future.

                    All of this assumes that Golson will be the starter. If it is Hendrix, than Kelly should have played him more last year as he was ready for live action.

                    Signatures are lame
                    • Level 10

                      I'm not saying he should have played him

                      I'm saying, if you know Golson is the future, then teach him your offense during the year in practice. He's going from the scout team to starting QB. If he comes in after the summer without a full grasp of the offense, that's unacceptable. They've had a year and a half to get this kid ready.

        • Level 4

          Re: When should Kelly have turned to Golson last season?

          He and Hendrix should have been seeing all of the snaps after USC. Those next 4 games were this year's preseason. Instead we tried to use them to shine our Tommy Rees turd.

          • Level 5

            I agree he needed to play Hendrix

            I don't know about all the snaps, but he should have gotten some time against every team. But I agree with ATL about Golson, he was not ready to play in meaningful action last year. There was also talk about some academic struggles on his part, showing up late to things etc. Just don't think he was ready to see the field.

            The problem I have is he was running the scout team all year instead of learning our offense. He looked like the best QB last weekend, yet he was running the other teams plays all year. That's a waste of time.

          • Level 5

            Golson was simply not ready last year

            He weighed like 170 when he got on campus. He would have gotten killed.

            Add that to the fact that he had zero grasp of the playbook, and he simply was not an option. Playing a guy like that is how a coach loses a team.

            I would have liked to see Hendrix more, but Golson wasn't ready.

            That said, he'll be ready this fall, and should be the guy.

            Signatures are lame
  • Level 1

    What bothers me about this...

    Is this modern philosophy of, "If something (or someone) isn't 100% perfect then we have to worry and obsess that it (he) will turn out to be total crap."

    I thought Golson played great on Saturday. Remember, he hasn't played one down of college football. And Hendrix, he's barely played. I don't understand this obsession we have of making snap judgments on every player based on extremely small samples. Several posters here made the "astute" observation, based on one half of football at Stanford, that Hendrix had certain deficiencies in his game that were permanent problems.

    Let's get real. Until a new QB has at least a couple of games under his belt, it's hard to make certain definitive statements about him.

  • Level 1

    Ewaldian

    Do you have anyone to talk to, other than this board?

    'I define fear as standing across from Joe Louis and knowing he wants to go home early.' - Max Baer
  • Level 1

    How have you been able to assess Golson's game management already?

    By the way, it has to be Golson. We know Rees is terrible, and Golson can do everything that Hendrix does better than Hendrix can.

    But I imagine Kelly will play it safe and go with Rees on a short leash.

  • Level 1

    Albany, someone hacked your PC and posted a logical, well thought out post...

    let them post more on your behalf.

  • Level 1

    I think it is Golson's to lose

    One thing that needs correction is getting the plays in, the offense set and the plays off much quicker. Right now Golson seems to have the farthest to go in that area but I would argue that all have issues and it has to be as much Kelly's problem as his players. I don't know why he has the problem here that he didn't seem to have at Cincy but he needs to fix it.

    The way I see it, ND will be using a lot of different player packages and formations with the tight ends, slots and wide receivers. If they can get set and run the plays before the defense has a chance to adjust they may get some good mis-matches. I think uptempo will also help get the running game into a groove and they definitely need to put emphasis on the run. Even with an average corps of wide receivers ND offense can put a lot of pressure on any defense providing they keep up tempo and eliminate mistakes. Daniels looks talented but he needs to learn to go 100% through the whistle on every play- I wish Kelly could transplant some of Atkinson's aggressive attitude into Daniels.

    • Level 2

      Agreed.

      (no message)
      Signatures are lame
      • Level 3

        The good thing with going with Golson...

        Is it buys Kelly more time. If we only win 6-7 games with a redshirt freshman QB with tremendous upside, then it indicates a bright future, and the fanbase will be more patient. If he only wins 6-7 with Rees or Hendrix as QB, most fans are going to want him fired (and rightly so).

        Signatures are lame
    • Level 2

      I agree that it's Golson's to lose. His ability to run alone makes him the best candidate.

      Add to that the fact he's the best passer on the team (31 yard strike to Eifert, 2 TD and 0 INT on 11 of 15), and it's a no-brainer. His ability to see the field, react and hit any of his receivers anywhere on the field can't be matched by any of the others. His ability to throw on the run and hit his mark can't be matched by any of the others.

      Hendrix I feel is like a blind squirrel. He finds an acorn every once in a while. He had two great passes including the TD to Eifert, but 4 of 9 with a horrendous interception isn't going to get it done.

      Rees would be more able to eliminate his turnovers if he were more patient in the pocket, but since he doesn't have the arm strength to zip it into a tight window or the escapability to stretch plays with his legs before getting sacked, he feels like he has to get rid of it right away every play.

      Right now I see it as Golson 1, Rees 2, Hendrix 3 in September vs. Navy.

  • Level 1

    Re: The Kelly conundrum.

    AlbanyIrish...you used to make me crazy but after you stood up when I asked for prayers for a friend I've looked at your posts, as Johnny Cash might say, "with a different point of view". This is a good question. Perhaps, as you say, the defining question. If we get good play from the QB position Aaron Lynch will become a footnote in our history. My humble opinion; go with the guy with the most "upside". That seems to be Golson. He will make mistakes, but I believe he might have the skills to make plays. That's something we haven't had in awhile.

  • Level 1

    Until now I didn't know he used them or wanted us to know

    (no message)
  • Level 1

    I'm curious as to how you think this will decide his fate

    You do okay being a comedian, but logic defeats you

  • Level 1

    Two things are certain

    You can't teach arm strength or foot speed.

    And I laughed at that Helen Keller crack.

End of conversation